- Licensed (Independent)
- Controlled (Subsidiary)
- Licensed escrow companies are independent businesses licenced by the California Department of Corporations. This License regulates the procedures and practices of the escrow company and subjects them to strict requirements designed to protect consumers.
- Controlled escrow companies are non-licensed businesses that can be owned by a variety of entities, including Real Estate Brokers, Mortgage Brokers, Banks, Savings and Loans, and Title Insurance Companies. Such companies fall under the jurisdiction and requirements of a variety of supervising agencies, with regulations and requirements that vary widely.
- A Certification Program for all employees in the company, including fingerprinting and background checks by the Department of Justice..
- A requirement that a manager/escrow officer with 5 years of experience be on-site.
- Financial stability requirement, including a minimum of two audits per year.
- Prohibiting employment of convicted felons or anyone who has been disbarred from the escrow industry.
- Membership with the Escrow Agents Fidelity Corporation, which provides a $5 million fidelity bond.
In my opinion, the bottom line is that an independent licensed escrow company is the best possible neutral third party to complete your real estate transaction. Whether searching for an escrow holder yourself, or looking to recommend one to a client or friend, a licensed escrow company gives peace of mind.Corona is home to some of the best independent escrow companies in California: New Dimensions Escrow, Emerald Escrow, Town and Country Escrow and Cornerstone Escrow are all members of the professional organization, The Escrow Institute.*